Richness Towards God



Text: Luke 12:16-21; Matthew 6:33, 16:26

I heard in the news months ago when Forbes Magazine announced the list of the richest people in Africa. These people were the cream de la cream and top business mogul of the world. On seeing the list, I wasn't really surprise at the #1 person on the list and as for others, never heard of them before until that moment. I read the article thoroughly and was challenged by these people’s vast net worth and how much they had achieved in life.

I knew I couldn't match their standards at the moment but it made me reflect over my life and how I had imagined my future to be like. I considered my age and felt I ought to have achieved more and done more so that in few years time, I could be mentioned, perhaps, among the top 50 richest people in Africa.

There and then, a question came to my mind that if these people on Forbes’ list are recognized as the richest people in Africa and the world over, how rich could they be towards God? This question changed everything and redirected my thoughts. I recalled Jesus in the book of Luke warning two brothers fighting over an inheritance to beware of covetousness that life consists not in the abundance of things one possesses (Luke 12:15).

I also recalled the parable Jesus told of “a rich man whose ground brought forth plentifully and thought to himself, saying, what shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, this will I do: I will pull down my barns and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and goods. And I will say to my soul, soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry…” (Luke 12:16-19).

This rich man Jesus talked about having thought he had enough for many years to come could find time to rest, go easy on life, eat and make merry all day long, not knowing that life and everything in it is but vain and vanity, and that the only meaningful thing in life is to please God and daily live for His glory. He forgot that death is sly and attacks unexpectedly; he forgot that as God made light for the day, He made the rich because of the poor.

The rich people of our time as glorified by Forbes Magazine also multiply and hoard their wealth in various Swiss Bank accounts, believing all that they have is an earned result of their hard work, diligence, vision, motivation, courage and perseverance alone. They forget that “a man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven…and that every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning” (John 3:27; James 1:17).

The world may exalt you today as the richest person ever on earth but can God say the same about you? Do we only lay treasures on earth that soon fades away with each tick of time and not treasures in heaven that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth?

“But God said unto the rich man, thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God” (Luke 12:20-21).

“We brought nothing into this world and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be there with content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith and pierced themselves through with many sorrow…” (1 Timothy 6:7-12).

Our goal as believers should always be to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness… (Matthew 6:33); follow peace with all men and holiness without which no man shall see the Lord (Hebrew 12:14); fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto we have been called… (1 Timothy 6:12); …denying ungodliness and worldly lust, we should live soberly, righteously and godly in this present world; looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ… (Titus 2:12-14).

As heavenly minded pilgrims, our confession should be as Apostle Paul’s: “what things were gain to me, those I count loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord…that I may win Christ and be found in Him…that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His suffering…forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forth unto those things which are before and pressing toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:7-14).

It’s not a sin to be rich and have your name published in Forbes Magazine as one of the richest people on earth. But of what use is it if with all the riches, you are not recognized and rich toward God?


“…Verily I say unto you, that a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, it is easier for a Carmel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God” (Matthew 19:16-29).

*** Written by Jacobs Adewale (Admin) ***



THE TRUTH MEDIA
...building the body of Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment

We hope you were blessed by what you read. Your kind comments motivate us, and please help to encourage someone by sharing.

From your friends at The Truth Media Blog. God bless you!